Monday, August 11, 2014

Growing GRACE

Hello Friends of GRACE:


Fred and I enjoyed a very nice holiday in the States, but we were happy to return to South Sudan and our family and friends here.  It was nice to see so many of you and be able to report how well things are going for GRACE Home.  And, after being away for two months, I returned to find that there were many changes taking place.


Maybe it is my imagination, but the children seemed to have grown so much!  They looked so healthy and happy.  Justus had held Sunday School lessons for them while I was away and they had made a chart for taking turns for daily prayer.  Even the little ones participate.  Two brothers that had arrived in April, whom I had been a little worried about, had adjusted well and were very much a part of the family.  They are now singing and dancing with the choir as well.


Not only had the children grown, but also the vegetation!  The gardens were ready to be harvested and they had started eating a lot of it.  The banana trees that were difficult to see from a distance are now large and bearing fruit.  The wood lot is growing although we lost many of the Acacia trees.  We will soon have papaya and guava from the fruit orchard.  To help the children and staff learn agriculture/horticulture, Justus and Moses started a little competition for them.  Each house is responsible for growing a plot of vegetables and each  person is assigned a tree to take care of.  I found out that trees were planted for me while I was away.  That is trees - plural - so I have a whole line to take care of!  The pressure if on!  


While I was away, Dr. Sharon Fogleman went to GRACE Home and taught the cooks and mamas how to bake bread.  That was a real hit!  So, when I returned they informed me that they would like to do that on a consistent basis.  Sharon had used a sand oven which worked OK but can only hold one or two loaves.  I contacted the man that built our rocket stove and he is now building us an oven.  When it is completed the ladies can bake enough bread for them to eat as well as sell some.


Please continue to keep the children and staff in your prayers.  They appreciate that so much and they pray for you as well.


GRACE and peace,


Libby