Monday, September 9, 2013

Opening Day

Part II - Opening Day

After that it became a little bit of chaos.  But, it was happy chaos.  The children loved the houses and began playing immediately.  A 7 year old boy from one of my previous churches (who faces many challenges of his own), was so concerned about the orphans in South Sudan that he sent money and asked that some balls be purchased so the children would have something to play with.  I took the balls today and the children's faces lit up with delight!  They immediately began kicking the ball and tossing it in the air.  They explored the area and got along well.  However, at one point, one of the mamas came through saying she had lost one of her daughters!  No need to panic.  We found her and all was well.  Our smallest child is 2-1/2 years old.  Her mama took to her right away and she to her mama.  It was so sweet.  I really believe we have some good mamas.

I hope you will forgive me for attaching so many pictures.  I just hope it doesn't take a full day to download them!  I am glad to be able to attach pictures but I really wish I could send you the sounds of talking and laughter.  What joy!

As the day wound down and lunch was served, the guardians and pastors left.  It was then that a little sadness occurred.  A few of the children wanted to go back home.  The mamas were comforting them, and in a few days when the newness wears off, they will be fine.

So, thanks so much for the prayers and support that has gotten us this far.  Please pray now that the children will adjust well.  Also, there are a few sick ones that I will take to the clinic tomorrow for medicines.  On Wednesday, Dr. Sharon Fogleman will come to GRACE Home and do an examination of each child and treat them with Vitamin A and worm medicine.  On September 28th we will have the major celebration for the Grand Opening and will invite the government and church officials.  And, of course, have another meal.

Love to each of you,

Libby